Can you guess the surprise b’day gift I received at my office address? Kindle with 3G and Wifi from my brother!!! and needless to say I have been busy playing with it, reading free samples of various books, making a list of books I want to read and downloading few books. The first one that I have downloaded is Change of Heart by Nick Cooney about human psychology and how to successfully bring about social change. Its a very interesting read and I am learning quite a few tips from it.
Frankly I havent tried anything new or interesting this work week just some normal breakfasts like sandwitches and parathas. Hence I am posting this sunday lunch recipe from last to last week. It uses jackfruit as the main ingredient.
Jackfruit is a fleshy fibrous fruit which has seeds which can be separately cooked and eaten. I used a baby jackfruit so it had soft flesh and seeds. It does require a little effort to chop the fruit or you can get it peeled and chopped from your store. Its texture is fibrous and hence meatlike. My mom used to make cutlets of jackfruit which tasted just like meat kebabs. Have to try to try them too sometime. I fried the jackfruit pieces and 1 onion the previous night so I could have a lazy sunday lunch in 15 min. You can now cook this like normal biryani and even put pieces of mock meat if you like. With some vegan curd it makes a perfect sunday lunch!
Servings : 1
Prep : 15 min, Cooking : 15 min
Jackfruit – (peeled and cut) 1 cup
Mock meat – ½ cup
Other vegetables of choice (potatoes, peas, cauliflower) – 1 cup
Onion – 2, Tomato – 1
Gingergarlic paste – 1 tsp, green chilli paste – ½ tsp
Garam masala, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder – ½ tsp each
Green coriander and mint leaves – 1/2 cup
Salt to taste, Oil to fry
– Fry the jackfruit pieces and keep them separately. Now fry 1 onion and keet it separately. This will be used for final garnish.
– In a cooker, Fry the second onion chopped. Add the ginger garlic paste, green chillies and all the dry masalas except salt and fry everything for a few minutes till oil starts separating.
– Now add the fried jackfruit and cook for couple minutes. At this stage add mock meat, potatoes and any other vegetable till all the masalas coat the vegetables properly.
– Now add chopped tomato, chopped coriander and mint leaves, washed rice and water. Mix everything properly and cook till two whistles.
– To make easy vegan curd just blend the extra silken tofu with some salt and juice of one lime in a mixie. This gives you a creamy curd injust seconds!
– Garnish the Biryani with fried onions and some more chapped coriander and serve with healthy vegan curd!